Thursday, March 18, 2010

Well it’s March. . .

Today is a beautiful spring day in Ljubljana. As the weather warms and the snow melts, I am reminded that my time in Slovenia is drawing to an end. In a moment of sentimental weakness (and a bout Tonsillitis) I’ve decided to blog. My friend Sybil and I have planned weekend trips to Bosnia, Croatia, Serbia, Sardinia and a week- long getaway through Bulgaria, Greece and Romania. I intend to post pictures and blogs about my adventures. . but I should probably fill you in on what I’ve been up to since January.

I have 3 new roommates: Quentin and Alexis from France and Carlos from Portugal. I chose to have boy roommates again because I really like the drama free atmosphere.
Carnival is the European equivalent of Mardi Gras. In Slovenia, the best parade is held in Ptuj. Sybil and I decided to use the internet hitch-hiking system and hitch a ride to Ptuj for the weekend. As neither of us had slept the night before (because we’re mutually not smart) we decided to go straight to the hostel. Mid-afternoon we were awoken by two Slovene boys busting into our room. “Which one of you is American?”

We glanced at one another and replied “Both of us.”

“Are you sure?” they asked.

“Yes” we replied in a confused unison.

“Which one of you speaks really good Slovene?” They asked.

“Her” I replied.

“You must come have a drink with us.”

We agreed.

That’s how we came to know Aleš, Damir and Simon. Three really nice guys from a small city called Murska Sobota. We ended up spending the entire weekend with them; eating, drinking and enjoying the parade.
Simon, Damir and Aleš.

Simon, Damir, Sybil and I having a drink before going out for the night.

Kurenti are traditional Slovene costumes designed to "scare away" the winter.











More Kurenti dancing.








These guys were my favorite. Soo colorful!! I'm thinking about being one for next Halloween!


Before the parade we hiked up to the castle. This is a picture overlooking the city of Ptuj.

My next blog will probably be in 2 weeks, when Sybil and I are going to visit Maribor.

1 comment:

  1. Love the pictures of the parade and the view from the castle. The steeple as seen from the castle looks like something out of a fairy tale.
    Did you get the little package within the big package that your mother mailed to you? That was included to fill your head with thoughts of warmer days ahead and your family that misses you.
    Been watching Samantha Brown traveling in Italy. What a beautiful place so full of history and culture. Sure wish I could overcome my fear of flying because that is one place among many that I would love to see. Nana

    ReplyDelete