Thursday, November 26, 2009

Hvaladajedan (Thanksgiving)

It all started with an oven. The oven in my flat is broken beyond repair. The owner will need to replace it. Without an oven, I didn't have a place to bake a Thanksgiving turkey. My friend Josh offered to bring his oven to my flat. While my flat has a very large kitchen, it has virtually no dining room. In addition, two of my roommates sleep in the living room. There wasn't much room to work with.
We ended up going to Josh's house. His oven was not much larger than a microwave. We were only able to cook one dish at a time.

I made a pumpkin pie!! Some missionary friends had recently been in Germany, and were able to buy a can of pumpkin from an army base. I had to buy a type of filio dough and make a pie-ish shape. BEFORE PICTURE.

AFTER PICTURE - They don't have condensed milk here, so I had to use coffee creamer. Coffee creamer is not as thick as condensed milk, so the pie was a little less solid than normal. It tasted normal.


The missionaries also smuggled in Stove Top and cranberry jelly. We added chestnuts, carrots and mushrooms to our stuffing. It was really good!




THE TURKEY. I couldn't find a whole turkey, so I purchased half a turkey breast. Half a turkey breast was 6 lbs. I can't imagine the size of the Turkey it came from.


Josh was the mastermind behind most of the actual cooking. Here he is being a freak and "carving" the turkey.

All in all, we had greenbean casserole, mashed potatos, jellied cranberry, turkey, pumpkin pie and stuffing.



Mathilde observing the damage.


Marta, Josh and Tasha.


Anna and Miljan enjoying their first Thanksgiving.


Miljan, Mathilde and Tasha.
It doesn't really feel like Thanksgiving because no one else is celebrating. I went to school today, and I must go back tomorrow. UGH!! Europe sucks during the Holidays!! I just need to remember that I only have 25 days left until I come home for Christmas!!









4 comments:

  1. Sweet corn tucked into cornbread, moist succulent turkey, crunchy fried onions sprinkled on top of green beans smothered in mushroom gravy, light flaky rolls, a mound of mashed potatoes, and a goblet filled with icy diet coke....yummy Thanksgiving dinner. Bumpa cooked the turkey breast upside down just like you. We ate early, Little Danny had to get to work. Jordan wanted to make a pizza for supper. It was pretty tasty. He says he will be with us for Christmas. So I better put up a tree and welcome home Mallory. I love you, Enjoy your adventure. Have you been invited to a high school. Why don't you check one out for me. Take some pictures. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanksgivin is in Slovene Zahvalni dan but this your Hvaladajedan is very fun (I don't mean negative ;)). I was thinking for more than hour how do we call your holiday :D

    As I can see you learn Slovene very well. Well done ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Thanksgiving was filled with all your typical pleasures.. Turkey, stuffing, blah blah blah. However, I had a terrible cold and could not smell or taste anything. I was super tired and felt like sleeping. Bah hum bug huh.

    Enough complaints. Just trying to make you feel a little more chipper about being away from home during the holidays. So far, I'm 0 for 2. Halloween I was deathly ill with the H1N1 crap.. Thanksgiving I was a phlemmy complainer.

    Much love Babycakes.

    Moe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! That looks totally cool! I'm jealous! And coffee creamer for condensed milk....good call...woulda never thought of that! ;) Looks like you're having a good time! TTYL

    Emily

    ReplyDelete