Sunday, September 20, 2009

Here we are yet again. .

Today is Monday, September 21st, officially the day I leave for Slovenia. As predicted, I am still awake tying up loose ends (including setting up this blog).


For those of you out of the Mallory loop, I'll elaborate on my upcoming adventure. In May of this year, I received a scholarship from the National Security Education Program (NSEP) to study abroad for a year. The Boren Scholarship is intended to encourage students to study non-traditional languages to benefit national security. In exchange for a $20,000 scholarship, I will have to work for the Federal Government in the area of national security for 1 year after I graduate. As I intended to apply for the Foreign Service, I did not see this commitment as an obstacle.

The stakes are higher on this trip however, because I am all by myself. On my last trip to the Czech Republic, I was accompanied by 30 Americans. In Slovenia, I will have to fend for myself. This includes finding an apartment, which I have not yet secured (eek!).


Today I will be flying into Trieste, Italy. Trieste is only 3 hours from Ljubljana. I have to go there to pick up my residency permit before entering Slovenia.

Slovenia was [the best] part of former Yugoslavia. They have made terrific strides with regards to human rights, corruption and lustration. They were not directly involved in the ethnic conflict in Bosnia Herzegovina. As they are surrounded by Italy and Austria, they are subject to significant western influence.

Enough with the report!! I'd just like to give a special 'thank you' and 'goodbye' to some special people.

Mom & Dad: Thanks for funding my deficit. :) Love you both tons!! I'll call/email when I can!

Dara: e-mail me with your latest boy toy stories. I'll be home in December to meet him! (because I'm sure there will be a new 'him' by then!)

Nana & Bumpa: Thanks for all your words of hope and encouragement. (and all the clothes!)

Jordan & Katherine: I'll be home for Christmas. . and whatever happens the next day.

Cinda: I'll read this book, but I probably won't like it! :P

TWATRO: You (expletives) should be proud to be mentioned here!! haha. jk jk. I'm sad to be abroad without my three greatest friends. I don't know what I would've done without you last time, and I'm not sure what I'll do this time IF YOU DON'T COME VISIT ME!! Keep me updated on the latest craziness!! I love you! I hate you! Then again, sometimes I really do love you!!

3 comments:

  1. Finally have some news from you. Hope you keep this blog alive for your entire stay. Hope you are doing well, crazy American!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you made it to Italy. Do they have your VISA? How is the hostel? God Bless You. I love you. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok done waiting...post something already!!!

    ReplyDelete