Sunday, October 25, 2009

Let's take a sit. .

On Friday afternoon around 4pm Miljan asked me if I would like to go to Venice with him and Mallica. Mallica was only in town for the weekend from Serbia. I agreed and we went to buy train tickets. Our train left Ljubljana at 2:30am. We arrived in Venice at 7am. This is what followed:
Miljan being really stupid on the coast.
I forgot to mention that our friend Syman from Germany went with us. Here we are at the docks at 8am.

Miljan's nickname for me is 'Butterfly' (long story). So this is us doing the 'butterfly.'



Just a random beautiful street in Venice.



Cars cannot get around in Old Town Venice. The streets are too narrow and there are way too may canals. If we were from Venice, Dad might be making my boat payments right now haha.



Gondola rides cost about 100EUR. This is during the off season though. They may be more during the summer. Mom, you should start saving now if you want to take one of these (we didn't).







Miljan and Syman pretending to make a plan about where were going.
The winged lion is the symbol of Venice. I thought it was cute.
After a long day of traveling and walking, we sat on some steps in a random alleyway and enjoyed Italian beer and cheese.
Taking an overnight train for a day trip is not advised. We arrived at 7am and our train left at 9pm. We were so tired!! We arrived in Venice and found somewhere to have breakfast. Then we walked around for like 2 hours. Then we sat somewhere else for like 30 min. Then we walked along the coastline and took pictures for another 2 hours. Then we purchased pizza from some little hole in the wall and sat on the coast for lunch. Our day pretty much went like this. Two hours of activity. . followed by someone suggesting "let's take a sit." haha. I started saying it too after a while. My English is slowly deteriorating.

On the train home, they stopped on the border. A Slovenian guard came on board and was checking passports. I didn't bring my passport because technically they don't need to check passports if you are traveling between two countries in the European Union. I woke up to a guard demanding my passport. I was able to tell him in Slovene "I'm studying Slovene at the University, I have a passport." but he just kept yelling "Illegal!" in my face. Serbian and Slovene are somewhat similar, so Miljan tried to talk to him. Finally he just got frustrated and left. A guy in our train car said that a Croatian man had tried to smuggle 3 grenades across the border to assassinate the Slovenian Prime Minister. As a result, border control had been tightened. We saw them drag some guy off the train. I guess they were looking for someone. . but it wasn't me so they let me go.

1 comment:

  1. Well your stories are sounding a little like Jason Bourne. You didn't go to any museums? Missing the art in Venice is like going to Wisconsin and not having any cheese. I am glad you know how to get there. I can't wait to see it myself. It should be warmer in May. So your next trip is to Bosnia. Those pictures will be interesting. I love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete